Blog #3
"Teaching Multilingual children," by Virginia Collier
This article states guidelines that help towards teaching multilingual children. This article is similar to another article I found interesting.
Hyperlink: https://www.spanishplayground.net/5-ways-teachers-can-support-home-language/
The link I included states 5 different ways that teachers can support different languages. I believe that these ideas branch off guidelines mentioned in "Teaching Multilingual Children." Both articles give great advice to help the learning environment of multilingual children. These children are special and should be treated differently. Both articles mention"being aware." I think that this is one of the most important ideas mentioned. Teachers need to be aware of this language gap and not ignore it. Teachers need to take action to make sure their students feel comfortable in their own skin. In addition, teachers need to be positive and allow their children to express who they are. Patience is also key in any teaching experience. One important point mentioned in "Teaching Multilingual children," is guideline #3. This states, "Dont teach a second language in any way that challenges or seeks to eliminate the first language." This guideline is crucial because children should never feel like their first language is wrong or prohibitted in any way. I also believe that multilingual students can benefit their teachers and fellow classmates. These children can teach others more about their language/culture.
There are a lot of ways that teachers can accommodate multilingual children. However, I'm sure it's not as easy as it seems. I respect the teachers who take the time to support these children.
Point to bring up: Has anyone ever felt uncomfortable during school with multilingual classmates?
This article states guidelines that help towards teaching multilingual children. This article is similar to another article I found interesting.
Hyperlink: https://www.spanishplayground.net/5-ways-teachers-can-support-home-language/
The link I included states 5 different ways that teachers can support different languages. I believe that these ideas branch off guidelines mentioned in "Teaching Multilingual Children." Both articles give great advice to help the learning environment of multilingual children. These children are special and should be treated differently. Both articles mention"being aware." I think that this is one of the most important ideas mentioned. Teachers need to be aware of this language gap and not ignore it. Teachers need to take action to make sure their students feel comfortable in their own skin. In addition, teachers need to be positive and allow their children to express who they are. Patience is also key in any teaching experience. One important point mentioned in "Teaching Multilingual children," is guideline #3. This states, "Dont teach a second language in any way that challenges or seeks to eliminate the first language." This guideline is crucial because children should never feel like their first language is wrong or prohibitted in any way. I also believe that multilingual students can benefit their teachers and fellow classmates. These children can teach others more about their language/culture.
There are a lot of ways that teachers can accommodate multilingual children. However, I'm sure it's not as easy as it seems. I respect the teachers who take the time to support these children.
Point to bring up: Has anyone ever felt uncomfortable during school with multilingual classmates?


Comments
Post a Comment