Blog Post #2

"Amazing Grace," by Jonathan Kozol


I decided to choose relevant quotes from this article because of how shocking they are. This article uncovers what it's like living in the South Bronx. 


Quotes:
 1.) "At the elementary school that serves the neighborhood across the avenue, only 7 of 800 children do not qualify for free school lunches."
This means that 793 children qualify for free school lunches. This should be an eye opener of how poor this part of the Bronx really is. 
2.) "Fear and anxiety are common. Many cannot sleep."
This quote is very upsetting to read because I can only imagine how scary it would be to do daily activities. It's crazy how this environment can cause these health issues. However, I can see how it would. I would be terrified to sleep at night if I were to hear gunshots. Or possibly see something terrible happen right outside my window.
3.) Clumping so many people, all with the same symptoms and same problems in one crowded place with nothin' they can grow on."
This quote is describing hospitals. People are stuck in a vicious health cycle. How are people suppose to get better when they are stuck in the middle of it? In addition, the article mentions how terrible and unequipped hospitals are in the Bronx. Figuratively speaking, how are children supposed to move up in their lives if they have "nothin' they can grow on?" It is unfortunate that these kids don't have the privilege "rich kids" do. 
4.) "The children play near the bears or on a jungle gym while their mothers wait for needles."

This last quote is terrible. These children are being raised by children. By this, I mean drug addicts. It is terrible how parents have addicted a choose dugs over their own children. Why are these parents even parents? Children of these addicts deserve better lives with families who value their future and success.

All of these quotes have a common theme that they share. The South Bronx is NOWHERE for children. These children don't have voices. WE can be their voices!

Article: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/112/Supplement_3/707
The article I attached goes into more detail about the effect that poverty has on children. 

Sharing point: Why New York, out of all places? For an example what does New York have as a state that "richer" states don't? 

Comments

  1. Laura, all of the quotes you chose demonstrate how bad the conditions are for some children. The quote you chose that stands out to me the most is the one about lack of sleep and anxiety. I cannot imagine living under those conditions and being so stressed at that age that you are unable to sleep. Childhood should be a great time full of memories not nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura I love all the quotes you used. They are such good eye openers. Live I never knew how many poor people lived in New York City.
    and where you said why are these parents even parents.... I ask that to my self a lot too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #4

Blog #6