Blog #5

         Safe Spaces and 11 and Gender Fluid
Quotes

1. "Classrooms lay the foundations for an inclusive and safe society."


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy8ODDgSBF4

This quote is from the article titled "Safe Spaces." The article mentions several occasions where students have been penalized or discriminated against because of sexual orientations. In one instance a girl got points off on her Spanish assignment because of what sex she is attracted to. Her teacher corrected her by saying "Novio," meaning boyfriend. This teacher should be ashamed assuming this. The teacher shouldn't have put a question like that on the assignment because it forces her to determine someones sexual orientation. In another instance, a teacher refused to call one of their students by their proper name. One student wanted to be called Jess because it fit his gender identity more. The teacher continued to call him by the name on their roster. I like how at RIC some professors ask you what you would be like to be called. Therefore, everyone is called the correct name. Mentioned in the quote above, classrooms should make students feel safe. These students that the article mentioned probably felt like an outcast who didn't mean anything. Classrooms should make students feel welcome in their own skin. Students shouldn't have to hide or be penalized because of their sexual orientation.

Above I attached a link to a five-minute youtube video called "No Outsiders Classroom." This video shows what its like for students to feel comfortable with their sexual orientation. They expressed this through art.

2. "Knowing we have hurt or offended someone we care about can be a positive motivator to change behavior."

I believe that this quote should be changed to "Knowing we have hurt or offended someone can be a positive motivator to change behavior." If someone offends anyone, not just someone you care about, you should change your behavior. I think that this article could change lives because it could motivate people to change. Some people on this earth could care less about the LGBT community, which is shown throughout this article. These people need to understand that we are all humans and should be treated equality.



3. "I knew she was becoming more herself than shed ever felt."
This quote was from the shorter article called "11 and Gender Fluid."

I love how accepting the mom is in this article. She lets her daughter express herself in the way she feels most comfortable. I think this is important because many parents/guardians may not agree with their children's clothing choices. Some may say "that's a guy shirt, why would you buy that." The daughter in the article would say something like "because I can." This article is very inspiring becuase it shows a child comfortable in her own skin. The girl menntioned in the article wasnt afraid to be a hell angels biker for halloween or rock a baseball cap. She isn't afraid of expressing herself through her clothing.

Point to mention in class: has anyone ever seen or experienced themselves discrimination of sexual orientation?













Comments

  1. Laura, I also agree that it is important for parents to not jump to conclusions and to just let their children express themselves without placing labels on them. The most important thing to do as a parent is to let their children know that their feelings are valid, and that they are loved, regardless of how they choose to express themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #4

Blog #6